An Interview with the illustrious poetess, Vivimarie VanderPoorten

Tuesday, March 19, 2013




Interviewed by : Niroshan Pathberiya


Nothing Prepares You and Stitch Your Eyelids Shut reminds us none other than Vivimarie VanderPoorten with her genuine smile. Winning many an award, including the prestigious Gratiaen Prize in 2007 for her poetry collection Nothing Prepares You, she feels humble and honoured to be a readers’ poetess.
As a poetess, as well as a university lecturer Dr. Vivimarie VanderPoorten has contributed graeatly for both creative and academic work. Her involvements in researches on bilingual education, second language acquisition and gender studies have also been remarkable as her creative work.
Taking time from her daily schedule, she happily joined us for our discussion.

What is new these days? What are the new things you are engaged in?
I am currently involved only in my academic and professional work, not really writing any creative stuff seriously. I write a poem occasionally but they need to be edited and worked on.

Having published two successful poetry collections, what sort of a response do you get for your poems?
Readers’ response to my work has been pretty awesome, going by the emails and fb messages and phone calls I get.

Was being a writer (poet) one of your childhood ambitions? Or is it something you were interested in later as an adult?

No, nothing of what I do now has been a childhood ambition. It just happened

To reach this position today as an internationally recognized poet, how helpful were childhood experiences?

I don’t really think I deserve the label ‘internationally recognized’, am not there yet, and possibly will never be. My childhood experiences fed my creative processes obviously, but I don’t know of any direct link between my poetry and my childhood, except maybe that it was very eventful and full of ups and downs, so I learned early on that I was sensitive.



What/who are the other incidents/figures inspired you in your journey to be a poet?

Lots of personal incidents as well as growing up in a war-torn country with its violence and brutality made me respond to incidents in a creative way. I studied English Lit at uni for my first degree so I guess studying all these amazing writers may have inspired me though not consciously. Many people’s work has inspired me, including poets such as Kamala Das, Indran Amirtanayagam, Sharon Olds, and many more


A Lot of renowned writers make reading a part of their professional life as well as  personal life. They read a lot. How has reading become a part of your life?

Reading is as essential as breathing, I guess. I cannot go to sleep unless there is a book near my bed, I cannot go on a journey or trip or get on a plane without a book in my bag. It has always been a major part of my life ever since I was able to read and write.

What are you currently reading?
Currently, I am reading “The Book Thief” and Lahiri’s “Unaccustomed Earth”

What are the additional things you gain from the books you read?
Travelling in other people’s minds, feeling what they feel

We would like to know your favourite books and favourite authors?

Too many to mention. I am in awe of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I read and re-read Margaret Atwood’s novels and poetry, Milan Kundera, Sylvia Plath, E.E. Cummings, Wuskawa Szyborska, Anne Sexton, Pablo Neruda. As I said it is hard to single out a favourite writer.

Other than the genre of poetry, have you ever considered about other genres such as novels. Short stories and etc... ?
I have considered it yes. It is still all in my head. I like to next publish a book which will be a collection of poetry and prose, but nothing is sure yet.

Being the first poet to win the Gratiaen Prize, and being awarded many other awards, including the 2009 SAARC Poetry Award, how do you feel it to be an award winning Sri Lankan English poet?

I was the first poet to win the Gratiaen but not the only one .Well I feel humbled and honored because I think there is a huge amount of talent among Sri Lankan. Shehan (Shehan Karunathiklake) has won much bigger international awards and we should be very proud of him. There is no particular feeling that really stays in relation to winning awards. What is much more profound is when readers and strangers tell you how intensely they like your work or how a particular poem or book means so much to them, or made them laugh, or gave them an insight. For me, those moments outlast the momentary high of getting an award

What is your message for upcoming writers/poets in Sri Lanka?

Write honestly, edit your work brutally, be open to criticism, and believe in the story you are going to tell.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Japura Live © 2013 | Designed by Hansaja Dias, in collaboration with Rotaract Club of USJP, Uncharted 3 and MW3 Forum